Monday, January 21, 2008

01/21/08

I've created a blog before, written a handful of posts and added pictures but I eventually deleted it after reviewing my posts and coming to the conclusion that it was lame, pointless and uninteresting. But now, with the support of my brother Tyler, and our new 2008 year long pact/goal/resolution I've got more than enough to blog about on a regular basis.

Tyler called me today and we both expressed disappointment in ourselves because of our lack of productivity when it comes to our artwork. He suggested an art pact, to motivate us with an end goal in mind, to have our own brother/sister art show in 12 months, in February 2009. We're putting a minimum of 20 pieces each together. The venue, even the city of our show is yet to be determined as he lives down south in Madison, WI and I'm up north in Superior, next to Duluth, MN.

He put together an email outlining our resolution:

Happy New Year!

We have successfully completed 2004- Year of the Holly (met Michele and Johnny- successfully kick started my adult life) and 2007- Year of the Panda (enter: Quincy). Now, feast your eyes on 2008- Year of the Art Show! That's right folks, the sister brother duo, Heidi and Tyler, have teamed up to create the most kick ass event of the next 12 months!

Long Term Goal:
To put on a real Art Show by Feb. 2009.
Each artist must have 20 pieces- any size, any medium (except photography)

In July, the half-way point: meet to discuss the layout of the show, the show's title, date and location. We will also plan our take away items, invitations, business cards and flyers.

Every 2 weeks, a keyword will be decided on. Artists are encouraged to use this key word to guide/encourage/harass them into working on and completing a piece. Artists may complete more than 1 piece every two weeks.

Every week, artists must blog about something regarding this show. Whether it's a few sentences about how much they rock and/or suck, or post pics of sketches or works in progress. Artists may include photos of completed pieces, but not very many, as to not blow our loads too early you see.

This weeks' keyword: Seasons

Tyler's blogspot: http://thenotalentkid.blogspot.com/
Heidi's blogspot: http://galuchka.blogspot.com/

I don't want to look too far ahead, but I'm hoping we can expand this idea by adding goals in selling, and new customers, and maintaining our levels of productivity and blogging.Good luck!

So we've got "Seasons" to work with this week. I picked it and am now almost regretting it. It could lead to some really cliche ideas. I picked it because of a piece I'm working on for the ARF auction/dinner fundraiser that I donated a painting to last year. I did a medium sized painting that was a winter scene, it was very 'Russian-Holly Hobby-Lost in the Woods.' It sold for $85 if I remember right and had lots of bids. So when Kathy called me to request if I'd do another one she asked if I'd put together another one like the last, but maybe change up the season of the painting, make it like a series.



I wasn't necessarily even proud of that painting. It was pretty different than any of my other paintings over the last few years, but I thought that making something a bit more commercial, cute and crafty would bring in more bids. It did, so apparently I'm doing another one. I don't know why I feel it's important to explain why this painting was so commercial and crafty, I like crafty. That why I've been working on my hats so much lately, it's fun. I fell in love with etsy.com and opened my own store selling my cute crocheted hats of all sizes. I've sold 3 so far on the site!


http://www.hellogaluchka.etsy.com/


Okay, that enough blogging for today, I think I'll work on my project/studio room, it's a mess.

No comments: